Anyway, Kate was a bit of a shop-o-holic. And when I say "bit" I mean like she had 2 houses and 2 storage units with stuff in them. Some things old, some things new, and a bunch still with tags on. Kate was a bargain hunter and garage sale expert!
In February my sister went to CO to go through all of her things with some other people. They almost had it all sorted through. So this trip we were going to go through more boxes. When we got to Jason's there were only a few boxes left...not really much stuff to go through. The lady that we were staying with, Chris, was super upset at this fact. Mostly thinking of their 3 young kids and wondering what they would have to remember their mommy. (Don't worry, they will have a lot of stuff that we found out later was in a different place.)
My heart aches so badly for their 3 kids. During the trip I thought a lot about how my family would do if I were to be taken from this world...what would they remember about me...what "stuff" of mine would be valuable to them? I know that we came into the world with nothing, and we'll leave with nothing. Reminds me of the first part of the verse that's tattooed on Aaron's arm..."And he said, “Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked shall I return.'" Job 1:21a. Yet, it seems so hard for me to live knowing this. We live in this crazy consumer world. I don't want to leave her with tons of jewelry, clothes and things that don't matter. I want Paisley to know that I loved her so much and that Jesus loves her more than I ever could have, that He's always the answer, He died for her sins, and He will never leave her. The imprint that I want to leave most on her, is showing her what that looks like in a relationship with the Creator God of the Universe. It's a struggle sometimes for me to remember the important things and not to get caught up in our daily activities, but going on this trip gave me a renewed view on being a mommy.
4 comments:
Loved this, Ash. I'm so grateful you posted this. It really is good to remember that the most important legacy we can have is Jesus.
It is a struggle to slow down sometimes, especially being a mom and trying to get "everything" done.You are a faithful women and I know that Paisley will see that in you.
What a great post! Sadly it seems like it takes something like this for us to remember what is really important. I remember how many "lessons" learned after my MIL's passing.
Great post girl!
Thanks for posting this, Ashley. I need this daily reminder. :)
Post a Comment