Monday, September 6, 2010

Jen

Friends and family, I need you to pray for my friend, Jen. You may have heard about the accident on Saturday on the i-10 (see story here) that was Jen and her 2 sweet babies, Lilianna - 13mos and Gabriel - 3 weeks.
Jen and I were best friends in high school. We went to the same school and church. We hung out all the time, she was family. We had sort of went our own ways shortly after high school. We met back up last summer, a few months after she had Lilianna. Jen is someone who can make you laugh and who has this contagious laugh that I can still hear in my head.
Anyway, Jen is doing good - physically. She has a few broken ribs, some stitches, and some staples in her head. (I'm not sure of the details.) As of yesterday, she really still isn't quite understanding that her children are gone.
I think this is the most tragic thing I have experienced yet. I have never cried so much for a friend. I honestly keep thinking, why Lord did you keep her here? But I know He has a reason, even if I don't understand. I keep just reading His words:

God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Psalm 46:1

But he knows the way that I take; when he has tested me, I will come forth as gold. Job 23:10

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. Psalm 23:4

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds. Psalm 147:3

The ransomed of the Lord will return. They will enter Zion with singing; everlasting joy will crown their heads. Gladness and joy will overtake them, and sorrow and sighing will flee away. Isaiah 51:11

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. 2 Corinthians 1:3-4

Obviously there are a ton of other verses I could share. I think this is challenging me. To know all these things about our God, yet not understand at all why something so tragic would happen. I'm choosing to trust God. I pray that if something so life changing were to happen to Aaron and I that we also would choose to trust the Lord, even when we don't understand and it's hard.

I loved reading 2 Samuel 12:15b-23. The hope that David had that he would again see his child one day. I believe that God loves our babies more than we can imagine. I believe that Lilianna and Gabriel are in Heaven today. Reading this also made me smile to think that the baby that Aaron and I lost is already in Heaven too, and one day we will meet him/her. I'm beyond thankful to a God that is so compassionate...even when something this horrific happens on earth, I know He is still Love, Hope, Compassion, and Trustworthy.

Please pray for Jen. I cannot even imagine the road ahead of her, it's going to be hard. It's going to be dark at times. Pray that she would run to Jesus. Pray that He would protect her. Pray that He would be her comfort. Pray that she would feel His presence.

I'll keep you updated. Thanks for praying.

4 comments:

hannah said...

Ashley. I can't even begin to imagine what Jen and her family are going through. They are in my prayers. In reading your post, I can see God at work in reconnecting you with Jen. You will be His arms that reach out to Jen in support and in His love and compassion. I will pray for your strength and insight also so that you may be an ever present comfort to your friend in her time of need. Lisa

Jason and Lisa said...

Such a sad, tragic story. Definitely praying for Jen and her family.

Kobie said...

My heart sank when I read this. I will definitely pray for her and her family.

Lorraine said...

Hope you'll be able to reconnect with her. I bet she would love that and she needs a good friend especially now! Love all your pictures of Paisley! She is precious.